Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Hebrews 11:1
Now Faith is being sure of what we hope for, and certain of what we do not see.

Today, Chen Yi Qiao offically became our daughter in the eyes of the Chinese Government. Such a simple process (on this end), but such a lifechanging moment. As a group we traveled back to the Civil Affairs Building. We went to the same room, where a million other families were waiting with their babies. It was loud and it was hot. Poor Sage fell asleep on the drive over, but when we got there they made us wake her up to take our family picture. Then we met w/ the Registar who asked us if we were happy with our baby, had us stamp our thumbprint on a paper, her footprint on a paper, and that was that. It was weird to me, just really weird. Regardless, Chen Yi Qiao is offially now Sage ChenYi Mae Laxton.
We had a great night last night. At 7:30 I fed Sage a bottle, laid her down in her crib, and she did not stir until 6 this morning. You know how not normal that is for us? A baby who follows a schedule? And you know what? I actually slept great! What a relief to go to sleep knowing my daughter is now right where she should be. We ate breakfast at the buffet, and had lots of fun talking to families who were going to be getting their babies today. I met a few ladies who were part of a yahoo board I am on, and it is nice to put a face w/ a name. Was it just yesterday we were sitting there gawking at the babies counting down the minutes till we would meet our daughters?
We made a trip to Walmart today. It was huge. And everything is in Chinese. We stocked up on baby stuff and ate lunch at KFC on the way home. Mark was unsure if what he had was actually chicken? I think it is better if we don't know.
Scary moment on the way up to our room. We were on the elevator w/ a few other families and as we are going up all of a sudden the elevator takes a little "dip" back down. Then just stopped. I have never had that happen on an elevator and I did get a little panicked for a minute. We tried calling down the front desk, they would put us on hold, not understanding what we were saying. Finally it started moving, we pushed a button for the next floor, got off and took another elevator! I had visions of the Tower of Terror Ride from MGM going on!
So how is Sage today? When she woke up this morning, she just stared at us again. This morning she was starting to make more noise, blow rasberries, etc. But we were gone so long this morning, and she was SO tired, she just kind of looked zoned out by this afernoon. As soon as we got home we gave her a bottle and she was out. I am anxious to see how she is once she wakes up. There is good and bad to having a baby who does not scream. She does not appear to be grieving at all, and that is not really a great thing. I think she likes us enough, but really she is pretty indifferent to us. If she woke up from her nap, and someone new was here, she would be fine w/ them. Which breaks my heart of course, we want her to be as in love w/ us as we are w/ her. But I know it is going to be ok. This is part of the good thing of being in China for so long. You have time to spend just bonding with each other. It may only be a matter of days, it may take longer before she knows who we are and that we are here to stay. We ask that you continue to pray for this area specifically, that she would attach to us.
I don't know if I mentioned yesterday that she also has a rattle in her chest. It is not horrible, and no fever. But she does have a cough. I have antibiotics if they are needed, but I hope that it turns into nothing. They told us to expect them to be sick, and I can't even really say she is sick, just rattly. So we ask that you also pray that she is healthy.
--------------------------------------

Ok, that was earlier, we are having computer problems, so PLEASE pray that they are resolved. The screen keeps going out on us. If you do not see an update tomorrow, check on our blog, we should be able to borrow a computer and update there, if this one blows on us.
Sage took a good 2 plus hour nap and when she woke it was w/ a smile on her face! She was really sweet after her nap and I felt so much better. She wanted me, and that was a good feeling! She still goes to Mark fine, but she lights up when she sees me and reaches for me. We played in our room for awhile and then took a walk to a baby boutique close to the hotel. We have decided we are going to carry her as much as possible, not using the baby bjorn, or renting a stroller. It gets a little hot, and she can be 14 pounds of dead weight, but until we feel she is bonded more, we think that holding her close is the best. She is not able to sit alone, so we can't put her in a highchair or a cart etc. And that is ok for us.
We took her upstairs to the playroom before dinner, and we had to leave again for a diaper change. Maybe there is something in that room! Whatever it is, we are glad!
Dinner was w/ our group at the Hotel Buffet, that is mainly what we are sticking to. Maybe tomorrow night we might order in and have a group pizza hut party. Have I mentioned how thankful I am for this group of travel mates who are now part of our family? I can't imagine going this journey alone. It has been so wonderful to know you have someone right next door who will have anything you might need. Be it medicine, different size clothes, or just a reassuring word, it has been wonderful. We have all been through this horrible wait together, and now we are all sharing in the joy of our daughters (& son) together! I now understand what others mean when they talk about the love they have for their travel mates. These families watched in awe for each other as those babies filled our arms. They are friends that we will have forever because of that.
Tonight at dinner Sage began to eat more. We gave her mashed meat, some noodles and then she did better w/ the fruit puffs. It was so funny, all of a sudden she looked over and Annaliese started talking to her and she scrunched up her face and began to cry! Now this child has hardly cried at all! I know Annalise felt bad, but it was just SO funny! I know by that point she was tired again, or maybe it is because she has so much hair compared to my short hair she has been staring at for 2 days!
She had a bath tonight w/ some eucalyptys oil our neighbor loaned us to help w/ her congestion. While i was getting ready to put her in the tub, she peed all over me! She thought it was quite funny! After her bath i was playing peek a boo, and she laughed out loud! That was such a sweet sound, it brought tears to my eyes. Do you ever forget the first time you hear your baby giggle? She loved her bath tonight and was splashing all around. Yesterday she did not care for it.
I know that every day is going to be a new adventure and I have Faith that God will continue to help us bond, and help her see how much we are in love with her. I can hardly stand when she is sleeping, I just want to hug on her more!

No comments:

Post a Comment