Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart.


You know how after you have a baby, and you think you have them all figured out, but then they go and change on you? Even though you have only had them home with you maybe 2 days? Life is kind of like that! Sage went to bed at 730, but woke up screaming at 1am. Took a bottle, went right back to bed till almost 6. She woke up w/ smiles and a runny nose! But she was in a good mood and we had fun seeing her happy. The best part of the morning? She cried when I walked away! Mark said, you should be careful what you wish for! But it warmed my heart so much and though Mark was getting a little frusterated, we both know that she has to go through that in order to attach.
Have I mentioned how horrible the beds are? We are not sure why they even bother w/ a bed, might as well just lay on the floor, and that might actually be more comfy to be honest. It is really bad. First night Mark tries to say, it is not that bad. Well he is singing a different song now after a few nights here. If you are asleep, it is ok, but there is no being awake in that bad. Thankfully we have living room furniture, and yesterday I napped a little on the couch.
Had breakfast as usual at the buffet. I liked the buffet better at the Radisson, but it is still big and good. We met a few families today who got their daughters yesterday from Chenzhou. One I had met on a yahoo group, her daughter Megan shares a birthday w/ Sage. But her little one seems alot older! We have decided that Sage was either very babied in the orphanage, or very ignored. I would like to think maybe she was carried around alot so that is why she does not move much. It is really amazing here in our group how different they all are. Alot of them are the exact same age, yet what they are doing is worlds apart. Some are feeding themselves, crawling, sitting up well without support. Sage can not feed herself at all, though we are getting a little more food into her now. She is way to top heavy to sit up and sometimes even her head is wobbly. Which is all fine w/ me. I prayed so much that I would be able to teach her all those things and so I am reminding myself that my prayers were answered and God gave me a baby. I know she will catch up quickly. Although once she is home w/ her older siblings spoiling her, she may be a baby forever!
We are missing the kids. It is hard to be so far away and we just want them to be able to hold their new sister. They all talked to her on the phone yesterday! It was very sweet. We made a picture book for Sage before we left and I show her every day who they are. It will be quite a shock for her to go from this quiet hotel room to a lively home, but we know she is going to love them so much!
Today we toured the YouLu Academy. A very old university. It was very beautiful and very tranquil. I did carry Sage around in her snuggly facing me and she loved that. It did get a little warm, she is just a little hot box. She starts getting the heat rash on her face anytime we are outside.
After the tour our guides gave us our gifts from the Chenzhou Orphange. We never did get to talk to anyone from there, but I am so thankful for what we did get. We will get a finding ad, which will show pictures of Sage when she first came in. They are translating those now. We got a chop w/ her chinese name on it. We got a map of the city of Chenzhou, and they marked her orphanage along with the location where she was found. Best of all we got the outfit she was found in! It is the little pink shirt and a yellow knitted hat. The shirt has love on the corner and is very thick and large. As I pulled the hat out of the bag Sage reached up and grabbed onto it and laid her face against it. I had to keep myself from sobbing just seeing that. I know she has no idea what that is, but for me to imagine her mother maybe knitting that hat, then placing it on her little head as she took her to be found, it is so heartbreaking. I know that it was all part of our Fathers plan, but I still hurt for her birthmother. It is a priceless gift that we have been given and I am SO thankful to have it. (her translation said she came in wearing a red hate, so I am hoping that is just a mess up in the translation)
The city of Changsha has been interesting. Not many here speak English, and that makes it tough. Yesterday Mark and I walked to the baby boutique, and we saw no one else American at all. As soon as we walked into that store, a girl started handing me clothes. That I did not really need. But it was just easier to buy them than not. We get very many interesting reactions when we are out. Some of the people come up and play with Sage, smile at us and say something(we figure they are probably making fun of us, but oh well, we have no idea!) Others just give us the glare down. I really don't know what to make of that. I assume they resent us, but I would like to ask which is better for these babies? That we are here, or that they are sitting in an orphanage? I guess I was not prepared for how many more glares than smiles. Today we went out for some shopping. Hunan is known for their embroidery so we wanted to get that for sure. We asked about going to the embroidery factory, but our guides told us they could show us where to get it cheaper w/ lots of negotiation. We bought some beautiful pictures on silk that we will have framed for the house once we return.
Sage is such a good baby and very laid back so far. We used the snuggly alot today, and had her facing in towards me, which I thought she would hate. But she seemed very content and just takes everything in. After shopping we went up to the playroom and she had so much fun in there. It is a sight for sure, all these new parents w/ their new babies. You can definatley find someone to compare notes w/ up there!
Thank you for all the great notes of encouragement you all are sending our way! We are so thankful that you are following our journey and praying for us. I knew this morning I could count on lots of "hugs" from all you moms who have been there with your newly adopted daughters and understanding these first few days with them. I hope that I can turn around and be a blessing to others as you have been for me.
We ended this evening w/ a pizza party in the hallway! We brought out a bunch of blankets, set the babies on them and let them play. It is so neat to watch these little girls. I look around and I just think how amazing it is how God works. I know some people think you just get the "luck of the draw" when it comes to these babies, but there is no way I would ever agree. Sage is my daughter, and there is no other baby in that group that could be. Just as I can see how perfect each and every one of them is for their families. Sage is so laid back. She just takes it all in. After we came into our room though, she was full of giggles and smiles. She is so funny, she will get to laughing, and then all of a sudden her face scrunches up and she cries. It is as if she wonders, is it ok to be happy with these strange people? We hope that very soon she will see that everything is going to be just perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment